As well as buying a pass to enter Angkor Archaeological Park visitors need to hire their own transport and decide on a route to take around the park. There are several different transport options and lots of people in Siem Reap offering transport services.
Angkor Archaeological Park: Transport Options
Angkor Archaeological Park is over 5 km from the town of Siem Reap, and covers an area of 400 square kilometres. It’s too far to walk from Siem Reap to Angkor Archaeological Park, and the temples are generally way too far apart to walk between. There is no public transport around the park either. You need to arrange your own transport, and that’s fairly easy to do although you may need to shop around and negotiate in order to get a good price.
The ways you can travel around Angkor Archaeological Park include:
- Organised tours: Travel agents sell packages including car, driver and guide for varying prices. You can also join bus tours which can be a cost effective way to travel around the park although they tend to only go to 2 to 3 temples in a day.
- Bike: Bicycles are available for hire in Siem Reap for around $2 USD a day. If you do travel by bike bear in mind the heat and make sure you have a map, as well as water. Bikes are the cheapest option but travelling by bike restricts you to the closer temples.
- Motorbike Taxis: These are available everywhere in Siem Reap and they cost around $10 USD a day, and more for travel to distant temples within the park. Passengers ride behind the driver, which can become uncomfortable after several hours.
- Tuk-tuks: Tuk-tuks are the most popular option for travel around the park. Drivers tend to know a little bit of English and charge $10 to $15 USD a day depending upon the route you take and the season. Tuk-tuks have a roof and seat behind the driver which can accommodate 2 people.
- Taxis: You can also hire an air-conditioned taxi for the day for around $30 USD. The drivers may know some English, but if you need a guide then this can be easily arranged to additional $25 USD a day.
- Balloon ride: There is a tethered helium balloon located at the edge of the park to the west of Angkor Wat. A 10 minute ride takes passengers to 120 metres above the ground and costs $15 USD for adults and $7 USD for children, increasing to $25 USD and $15 USD at sunrise.
- Helicopter rides: A journey of around 10 minutes costs $100 USD per person. Enquire at any travel agent in Siem Reap. There are several companies offering this service.
Location of Angkor Archaeological Park
Angkor Archaeological Park is located 5.6 km by road from Siem Reap Town.