At the moment to travel from Siem Reap to Poipet (for onward travel to Thailand) you need to travel by road. The train line between Poipet and Phnom Penh via Siem Reap is still in the planning phase and no start date for the construction of this railway line has been set. The distance by road from Siem Reap to Poipet is 152 km and the journey by bus takes 2 to 3 hours.
Travel Times To Poipet
There are 2 daily direct bus services from Siem Reap to Poipet which you can book online.
|00:30||02:30||$ 12.10||Standard AC||Virak Buntham Express|
|08:00||11:00||$ 11.00||Standard AC||Virak Buntham Express|
- Standard AC: 41 seat single beck bus with air-conditioning.
Buy Tickets to Poipet
Use the Search Box below to buy your tickets from Siem Reap to Poipet.
To book onward services from the border to Bangkok change the start point in the Search Box to ‘Aranyaprathet’ and the destination to ‘Bangkok’.
Virak Buntham Station in Siem Reap
- The Virak Buntham bus station in Siem Reap is next to Nakpeoun Old Market roundabout.
Virak Buntham Station in Poipet
- Bus services from Poipet terminate at the Virak Buntham Bus Station on Highway 3 near the roundabout by the Immigration Office.
Travel Poipet to Bangkok
There are two ways to travel from the border to Bangkok. At the moment the cross border train service from Popiet to Aranyaprathet and onto Bangkok is still under construction. Whilst this service is being brought into operation to travel from Poipet to Bangkok what you first need to do is to cross over the border and then onto the town of Aranyaprathet for travel services to Bangkok. After crossing over the border at Poipet into Thailand you come to the Rong Kluea Market. From there it is 6.5 km to Aranyaprathet town. The cheapest ways to travel are by shared songthaew taxi (15 THB per person), motorbike taxi (40 to 60 THB) or tuk-tuk (60 to 80 THB).
From Aranyaprathet town there are two ways to travel onto Bangkok:
- Train: Trains from Aranyaprathet to Bangkok depart at 06.40 and 13.55. The journey by train from Aranyaprathet to Bangkok is scheduled to take 5 hours 25 minutes to 5 hours 45 minutes but often takes longer as services on this railway line are very basic and often subject to delays.
- Bus: There bus services from Aranyaprathet to Bangkok departing throughout the day from 05:30 to 17:45. The journey by bus takes a fairly standard time of 5 hours and 30 minutes and costs 245 THB per person booked in advance online. The bus arrives in Bangkok at the Northern Bus Terminal which is near Chatuchak Weekend Market and a short taxi journey from both a metro station and a BTS (skytrain) station for fast and cheap public transport connections to most parts of metropolitan Bangkok.